Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Biggest Blog Post Yet

Hi all - Brett here for my first blog post. Since Ali does all the heavy lifting for our blog, I thought I would help out in sharing some exciting news. Save the date - we’re officially joining the baby club! Ali is due April 21 and we couldn’t be more thrilled (and overwhelmed!) to become parents.

Following a close call where Ali ditched a home pregnancy test and snuck out of the store after seeing a few friends a couple aisles over, we received the good news while hosting a barbeque for some out-of-town guests (the Bennett’s, aka Biggles). While manning the BBQ, Ali glanced over and gave me a quick shake of the head. I was a little bummed because I then knew that the THIRD test was also negative. However, after everyone had left, I had to take a look myself just to be sure. One solid pink line and a second much lighter pink line right next to the first. I asked Ali where she had placed the instructions and after handing them to me, I read out loud, “one pink line indicates a negative and two pink lines indicate a positive, please note that one line may be lighter than the other.” I was ecstatic and convinced, but even after experiencing all the common symptoms, Ali was still unable to acknowledge that we were going to become parents. In fact, I don’t think she was convinced until the ultrasound last week!

We are so blessed to have such great family and friends who were also so happy to hear our news. The reactions we received were priceless – from tears to jumping up and down in our living room – it has been very special to share something that will have such a profound impact on our lives. Even our little Lucy reacted well to the news, or maybe she just wanted the treat in my hand that I felt obliged to give her for wearing a ridiculous t-shirt (see pic below). Considering Lucy has taken every opportunity to snuggle in close to Ali, I’m starting to wonder if she really does know!

Over the past couple years I have spent a lot of time thinking about when would be the right time to have children. Since we were first dating almost eight years prior to our little one's debut, I knew that Ali and I wanted kids in the future, but I wasn’t certain when in the future that would be. However, I can now say without a doubt that we are both ready and are eager to begin this new adventure together. I feel so proud to be adding to the Schlameus family.

I apologize for not contacting everyone directly but we look forward to celebrating with you all over the next six months and beyond. Thank you all for the love and support you have shown towards our family. And most of all, thank you, Ali, for being a wonderful wife and friend. I know that you will undoubtedly be a fun, adoring, and caring mother to our baby son/daughter.


Photo #1: This is what Lucy wore to greet my family to share the news last week

Photo #2: Baby Schlameus' first phoot (don't worry,that's an arm, not a nose)


8 comments:

Kim said...

While I was lucky enough to hear the news last Thursday this blog post still made me cry. I am so happy for you guys and cannot wait to spoil this baby rotten!

Ryan and Jesse said...

I was jumping up and down! I am THRILLED for you both!! You will be amazing, loving, and wonderful parents! Lots of love to both of you and beautiful baby S!!!!!!

The Hunter Family said...

Best blog post EVER (nice work brett)!! So glad the cat is out of the bag and we can talk pregancy and babies all the time now. We are beyond happy for you two and Cal is SO excited to have a new friend.

Brooke Schlameus said...

Absolutely can't WAIT to become an auntie (I mean, a real one...no offense Lucy and Ellie :))!! So happy for you guys and I, like Kimmy, am excited to spoil this baby rotten (and buy him/her a drum set and a hamster).

Em and Jud said...

What WONDERFUL news! We are so happy for you guys and know that baby S will be loved and cared for by amazing parents. Love you guys!

Erin Dahlgren said...

Yahoooooooooooooo!!! Congrats!

Ian, Steph, Max and Will Tydeman said...

Yea!!!!!!! We are so excited for you guys. Can't wait. You are going to be great parents. Lots of love and I hope we get to see you soon.

Love, Ian, Steph and Max!

Brad and Danielle Jodts said...

Yay!!!!!! This is awesome news! I'll have to get the little bugger a "someone in KS loves me" onesie! Loved the part about misreading the prego stick...I did the same thing. Not quite sure how that happens. I got a faint second line and went out for a couple glasses of wine that night until a girlfriend hit me on the head with her purse and told me that two lines is two lines - faint or not.

Your baby will be beautiful - just like you, Mom!

Danielle